Join for free and connect with our local tech scene
Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.
Due to popular demand we're doing this topic again from last year, including some updates since the last one.
At this Meetup we'll let you peek under the hood on how we build a Google Maps alternative using open source tools augmented with our own code.
Mapping is a combination of web development and web design.
Tools and methods that will be presented:
- Data gathering using Openstreet Maps
- Map data storage using Elasticsearch
- Web services using WMS or Tiled WMS
- Rendering engine using a TOML like markup (like CSS but for maps)
- Client side rendering vs server side
- Performance considerations
- Search (find addresses, landmarks)
- Map updates and caching