Join for free and connect with our local tech scene
Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.
"Custom Drawing with Canvas" by Joshua Lamson
When you’re creating a new View to display some complex data, it’s easy for the number of View objects you’re using to get out of control. Between elaborate shapes, shaders/colors, and text in specific places and orientations, using only Android Views and layouts can turn your layout into a dense, complicated mess. Luckily, there’s a better way to add all your customizations. What you need is a blank Canvas! (Literally, android.graphics.Canvas). In this session, we’ll delve into the details of using a Canvas to display anything you need in a truly custom way. You’ll leave this talk knowing how to:
– Paint custom shapes, Paths, and text onto Canvas
– Override a View’s draw methods to draw on its Canvas
– Override a ViewGroup’s draw methods to draw over, under, and around its children
– Overriding a Drawable’s draw methods to create custom reusable Drawables
– Update your View’s state in response to touches and state changes
– And how to do all of the this while keeping your Views performant and your app buttery-smooth.
About Joshua Lamson
Joshua Lamson is a Software Engineer at POSSIBLE Mobile, specializing in Android Development. Joshua is a graduate of the Colorado School of Mines and has an affinity for Rubik’s cubes. Follow him @darkmoose117
About the Droids
Each 3rd Tuesday of the month, we meet at POSSIBLE Mobile downtown. From 5:30-6pm we will socialize and enjoy food and drinks. At 6pm we will either have a presentation about a new/interesting Android topic, or we'll work on a group project. If you are a new or experienced Android developer, or just someone that is curious about Android development, we hope you will join us and become a regular participant!