Join for free and connect with our local tech scene
Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.
Ike Walker, database architect at GitHub, presents "gh-ost: triggerless, painless, trusted online schema migrations".
gh-ost is a new tool by GitHub which changes the paradigm of MySQL online schema changes, designed to overcome today's limitations and difficulties in online migrations.
• Triggerless: no triggers placed
• Pausable: can suspend master writes altogether
• Lightweight: makes a low impact on the master database
• Controllable: one can interact with an executing gh-ost process, get info and reconfigure parameters
• Testable: gh-ost allows for testable, safe, non obtrusive migrations in production
• Designed to allow for multiple concurrent migrations
In this session I will:
• Introduce gh-ost, explain the reasoning for developing a new tool
• Describe the underlying logic
• Compare with existing online schema change tools
• Show off extra perks that make gh-ost operations so friendly
• Discuss the roadmap
gh-ost is open sourced under the MIT license
------------- Logistics -------------
MIT's map with the building (E51) highlighted: http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=E5...
MIT's map with the Kendall square T stop highlighted: http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=L5... (the stop is in red on that map, and you can see E51 in the bottom right)
Note that MIT lots are free to park in after 3 pm or so, even if it says "reserved for faculty"
Free pizza and soda will be served, so please RSVP accurately.
To RSVP anonymously, please login to the Meetup site with the e-mail address "admin at sheeri dot com" and the password "guest". For more information, see: http://www.meetup.com/mysqlbos/calendar/