Join for free and connect with our local tech scene

Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.

Pittsburgh, PA /

Calendar link?

Stephen Gross wrote

I want to add NextPlex's calendar to my Google calendar interface... Is there a URL for the calendar? If not, can the Nextplex folks add it?

Terranb_-_pic
Terran Birrell wrote

Thanks for the feedback Stephen! We don't have an iCal feed yet, but we do plan to have some kind of iCal functionality. We've kicked around a few different options, and I wonder if you could share your thoughts?

1) A simple ical link per event seems like a no-brainer.

2) A feed of all events a person has said they're going to. This is the one I'd personally find really useful since it would be the things that should be added to my calendar as I'll be busy, but without clogging it with events that may not be relevant to me. It has the added bonus for us that it might encourage more people to indicate that they're going to an event (which we hope to us in better promoting events).

3) A full feed of all events on the site. This seems like it could clog a personal calendar and make it harder to use in scheduling one's life, so I'd be curious to get your thoughts if this is what you had in mind?

I'd also wonder if a desire for a full feed indicates something we're not doing well enough? Are you missing events? Should we perhaps consider an optional daily digest email of events? Is our calendar incomplete and you want to combine multiple calendars for a more complete view on your personal calendar? Or maybe you just use your calendar differently than I use mine?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Stephen Gross wrote

1) No no no no....

2) No no no...

3) Yep, that's what I want. That's what 3hourlocal had, until it was deprecated. I want one calendar that I can show/hide to see what's going on.

--Steve

Terranb_-_pic
Terran Birrell wrote

Gotcha. 

So it sounds like you want to be able to have it next to your own schedule, which is why you want it on your calendar instead of just looking at our calendar? Or are there events we're missing that you pull in to your calendar from elsewhere? 

Thanks!

Stephen Gross wrote

Answer to first question: Yes!

Answer to second question: No!

Thanks,

--Steve

Terranb_-_pic
Terran Birrell wrote

Perfect! I have a much better idea of the problem you're looking to solve now. Thanks!

Headshot1
Jackie Vesci wrote

Glad we're working this out! Thank you for the 3hourlocal shoutout, Steve! :) Googling the word "deprecated"...

Mesquare
Bruce Adams wrote

I would appreciate option #2. For discovery, I find you calendar easier to read than Google's. So, option #3 is not of much interest to me.

Terranb_-_pic
Terran Birrell wrote

Thanks for weighing in Bruce!