Join for free and connect with our local tech scene
Stay on top of the latest companies and upcoming events with our weekly newsletter, and be counted among the people building the future of your local tech community.
"Narrowing the skills gap, one chapter at a time."
Git Lunch, our virtual self-study group focused on learning Git and GitHub, is returning for Season 2. The book we will use is Jump Start Git, from SitePoint.
What is a Virtual Self-Study Group?
The format of a virtual self-study group is as follows:
• Each participant obtains a copy of the same textbook: Jump Start Git
• Each participant commits to read one chapter per week, complete the exercises and post links to your completed work.
• Each participant obtains assistance by posting questions to a discussion area set up on the Boston PHP Message Board (coming soon) for each chapter. Each participant will receive personal feedback, as well as, a weekly group e-mail update.
• Each participant who completes the book is recognized on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment.
Notes: There is no classroom instruction. There are no webcasts. There are no scheduled appointments of any kind.
Once you have access to the book, you simply proceed at a pace that best fits into your current work/life schedule. You DO NOT need to live in the Boston area to participate. Invite your friends, family members and co-workers to join in the fun!
How Do I Get Started?
• Become a member of Boston PHP if you are not already a member. Simply click: Join us!
• Register for Git Lunch, Season 2. Simply RSVP: Yes
• Obtain a copy of the book (the only program cost). Simply visit O'Reilly Media and order Jump Start Git in one of two formats: print (40% off) or ebook (50% off). Use discount code: PCBW
When your book arrives, start your virtual learning by reading one chapter at a time, completing the exercises and posting a link to your completed work.
Q: How long will the course last?
A: We will cover eight chapters in the book starting Sunday, April 23 and ending Saturday, June 10. Refer to the Git Lunch, Season 2 -- Master Discussion List for specific dates.
Q: Do I have to wait until Sunday, April 23 to begin?
A: No need to wait! Feel free to begin as soon as you obtain a copy of your book. Simply post a message on the Introduce Yourself: Git Lunch, Season 2 message board once you receive your book so that we can gauge participation. Then, proceed at a pace that best fits your current work/life schedule.
Q: Do I have to live in Boston to participate?
A: Not at all. This program is virtual. We have successful graduates from many states and even have graduates from countries in Europe and Africa.
Q: What if I have additional questions?
A: Simply post a reply below and you will receive a response.
Let's Git Lunch!